Academic Policies

Academic Policies

Any student formerly enrolled as an undergraduate student at Appalachian may choose to re-enter the university under one of two forgiveness policies. Either of these policies permit a student to retain all earned credit while resetting his/her institutional cumulative grade-point average to 0.00 for academic standing and graduation purposes. Students wishing to return to Appalachian under forgiveness must apply for readmission, select the desired forgiveness policy, and send official college transcripts from all accredited institutions attended after leaving Appalachian.

Students returning under either forgiveness policy are considered for financial aid eligibility upon completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students not making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) towards the completion of a degree also need to complete a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form to be considered for financial aid eligibility. More information on SAP and the appeal form can be found at

For forgiveness policies, transferable credit is defined as:
1) completed coursework,
2) coursework that can be used for graduation purposes at Appalachian, AND
3) coursework that does not repeat an Appalachian course for which credit has been earned

To be considered for admission, students under the age of 21 must meet the high school minimum course requirements, as established by the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina System. Meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.

One-Year ForgivenessAny former Appalachian student who has not attempted any courses at Appalachian for a minimum of one calendar year (including summer terms) and has earned at least 30 new semester hours of transferable credit from other collegiate institutions since last attending Appalachian may apply for readmission under the One-Year Forgiveness Policy. Eligibility for readmission under the One-Year Forgiveness Policy is determined by averaging all grades earned in transferable coursework at another accredited institution with all grades earned previously at Appalachian. This combined average, as determined by Appalachian, must be at least a 2.00 on a 4.00 scale.
Two-Year ForgivenessA former Appalachian student that has not attempted any courses at Appalachian for a minimum of two calendar years (including summer terms) may apply for readmission under the Two-Year Forgiveness Policy. Eligibility for readmission under the Two-Year Forgiveness Policy is determined by averaging all grades earned in transferable coursework since leaving Appalachian. This combined average, as determined by Appalachian, must be at least a 2.00 on a 4.00 scale.

Students returning under a forgiveness policy should consider the following

All courses taken prior to using a forgiveness policy will still be visible on the student's Appalachian transcript with the original grade and a notation that they are excluded from grade point average computation. Students that have been granted forgiveness are not eligible to graduate with honors.
Students may only be granted forgiveness upon re-entry and may only be granted forgiveness ONCE during their academic term.
Forgiveness does not override specific grade requirements for specific courses, individual colleges/schools or departments/programs.
After forgiveness has been granted, students must also complete a minimum of 30 hours in residence at Appalachian State University in addition to all other graduation requirements to be eligible for graduation.
Students returning under a forgiveness policy will retain all attempted hour counts. All attempted hours from attendance at Appalachian and all transfer hours continue to count toward the tuition surcharge and financial aid eligibility.
Forgiveness does not affect the number of repeat grade counts available. Students are limited to four grade repeats during their academic career.
Forgiveness does not affect the number of career drop counts available. Students are limited to four career drop counts during their academic career.
The process of resetting the grade point average to 0.00 is completed within the first two weeks of classes in the student's re-entry term.
Students must have earned a C or better in coursework in addition to other requirements for the credit to be considered transferable.

Academic Probation

Failure to earn the minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) will place the student on academic probation.

An undergraduate student, whether admitted as a freshman or a transfer, will be allowed to enroll for a total of two academic terms of probation (excluding summer) during his / her academic career at Appalachian. These two terms of academic probation DO NOT have to be consecutive.

If a student uses the two terms of academic probation mentioned above, but again fails to earn a cumulative GPA sufficient for good academic standing, that student will be suspended.

Probation status is indicated on the grade report as follows:

  • Academic Probation - First Probation Term
  • Continued Probation - Second Probation Term
  • Academic Suspension - Ineligible to Return Fall/Spring terms

First Semester Zero GPA Suspension Policy

The exception to the minimum GPA policy applies to some students earning a 0.0 GPA.  Any undergraduate degree-seeking full-time student enrolled in her / his first semester (fall or spring) at Appalachian State University will be academically suspended if she / he receives a GPA of 0.0 (including "I" incomplete grades) for that semester and must return under the forgiveness policy. 

Full-time students are defined for these purposes as students who are registered for 12 or more hours at the end of drop / add.  A student may appeal this type of academic suspension in writing to the University Registrar prior to the subsequent term.  A date for the appeal deadline will be set prior to each term. The University Registrar will convene an Appeals Board and the board's decision will be based on:

(1) the student's letter of appeal, which must include the reason for poor academic performance
(2) documentation of extenuating circumstances
(3) a plan for improving academic performance

Student conduct records will be reviewed by the board in making their decision. All students should note that the board's decision is final. The First Semester / Zero GPA Suspension Appeal Request Form is available online on the Registrar's forms webpage

Academic Suspension

Students who have used their two terms of academic probation and again fail to maintain the minimum 2.0 GPA will be suspended from the university. Suspended students may not attend during fall or spring semester and are only permitted to attend the summer terms in order to attempt to raise the GPA to the minimum 2.0 to be in good standing.

Suspended students should review the Academic Forgiveness policies to determine if using a forgiveness policy would be a more beneficial way to re-enter the University.  Consultation with the Dean’s Office academic advisor is advised.

To be in good academic standing, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0. Failure to maintain the minimum 2.0 will automatically place the student on academic probation during the fall or spring term that follows.
(Note: The cumulative GPA includes all courses taken at Appalachian (grades earned on coursework taken at other institutions do not affect the GPA at Appalachian, and are not used to determine academic standing)

Effective fall 2014, there are some major changes to the Academic Standing policy.  Beginning fall 2014, academic standing will be determined based not only on the cumulative GPA, but also on the satisfactory completion of at least 67% of all cumulative attempted credit hours. To remain in good academic standing (or to return to good academic standing after being on probation), the student must meet BOTH of the following requirements each term:

  1. 2.0 cumulative GPA
  2. Successfully complete 67% of cumulative attempted credit hours

What are attempted credit hours and what does it mean to successfully complete 67% of cumulative attempted credit hours?

Attempted hours are:

  • Courses taken at Appalachian (with either a passing or failing grade)
  • Courses from which the student withdrew after the Drop / Add period (the first five days of classes) either by dropping the course or withdrawing from the university
  • Courses repeated (even if no additional credit was earned for the course)
  • To successfully complete 67% of the cumulative attempted hours, a student would need a passing grade in 67% of the hours listed above that were taken at Appalachian. 
    For example, if the student passed 60 hours, failed 6 hours and repeated 12 hours, he / she would have 78 cumulative attempted credit hours (even though there would be only 60 earned hours).  If you calculate 67% of 78, you will get 52.2.  Rounding that up, the student would have to pass 53 of those 78 hours to have successfully completed 67% of them. Since, in this example, the student passed 60 hours, he / she would meet this requirement.

Students are able to add or drop courses during the designated Drop / Add period which is the first five days of a fall / spring semester without using career drops.
The deadline for the Drop / Add period for summer terms is the second day of classes. These dates are published on the 
Registrar’s Office website.

Students dropping or adding after the Drop / Add period and prior to the 9th week of fall / spring courses must obtain the Late Drop / Add form and have all of the required signatures (student, instructor, chairperson) before submitting it to  the Dean’s Office for final approval. The form must be submitted to the Dean’s Office within TWO business days of obtaining the chair’s signature.

Attempted Hours

Attempted hours are defined as all hours accumulated throughout a student’s career at an institution (including all passed courses, failed courses, repeated courses, courses dropped after drop-add period, summer courses and transfer work). 

For example, a student who:

  • Enrolls with 15 transfer credits
  • Takes five courses at three credit hours each (for a total of 15 credit hours)
  • Fails one three-credit course
Will end up accumulating 30 attempted hours at the end of the semester.

Note:  Hours currently in progress are not calculated in attempted hours 

Earned Hours

Earned hours are defined as credits attained from all courses (including transfer work, AP classes and summer courses) a student has successfully passed. Withdrawals and failed courses do not count as earned hours. 

For example, a student who:

  • Takes five courses at three credit hours each (for a total of 15 credit hours)
  • Fails one 3-credit course

Will end up accumulating 12 earned hours at the end of the semester.

Note:  Hours currently in progress are not calculated in earned hours

During the Drop / Add period (the first five days of the term) students may change a course from credit to audit. The student must obtain the Request to Audit a Course Form from the Registrar’s Office website. Instructor permission is required for a student to change from credit to audit. Auditors must be in regular attendance and pay regular fees, but they will NOT receive credit. Students who stop attending an audited class will receive a grade of “F” that will be calculated in their GPA.

Students may freely drop and add courses during the first five days of the fall and spring terms without using any Career Drops.  From the sixth day until the end of the ninth week of the fall and spring semesters, students may drop no more than four courses in their entire academic career at Appalachian. These are called Career Drops.

You may use Career Drops by dropping courses on your Appalnet account. No form is needed:

  1. Sign into the AppalNet account and click on the Self Services tab.
  2. Click on the Student tab.
  3. Click on the Registration menu.
  4. Once in the Registration menu, select Add / Drop Classes.
    1. Classes may be dropped by using the options available in the Action field.
    2. If no options are listed in the Action field, the class may not be dropped (i.e., all drops have been used or it is too late in the semester to drop classes).
    3. Once all changes are made, click on Submit Changes.

It is a good idea to sign out of AppalNet and sign back in to review the registration to ensure the drop has been completed. You may not claim that a drop was not processed as a reason to drop a class late; it is your responsibility to verify a drop was processed.

If you have accumulated four career drops and attempt to drop another course, the drop will be denied and you will remain enrolled in the class.

Official drop dates for all terms, including summer, are published on the Registrar’s website on the term calendars.

Exceptions to this policy are rare; require the approval of the instructor, the department chairperson and the Dean's Office; and require documented extenuating circumstances. See Exception to the Drop Policy.

It may be necessary to substitute course(s) for students due to extenuating circumstances.  This may enable the student to meet degree requirements.  The Dean’s Office requires written notice (email) from the department chair or designee for each substitution made on student’s degree audit.  Students who fail to meet all published degree requirements will not be approved for graduation by the Dean’s Office.

Faculty advisors should initiate all requests for substitutions through the department chair or designee.  These requests should be initiated immediately upon discussion to prevent a delay in the student’s graduation and should have  documentation in DegreeWorks indicating “course substitution/waiver request pending approval.”

Important Information to Include When Requesting Substitution

Student Name
Student Banner ID
Course(s) Taken
Course(s) to be Substituted
Reason for Substitution(s)


In instances where waivers are granted, only the requirement is being waived and not the minimum number of hours required for degree completion.

Not all courses are amenable to credit by examination, but many are. Students who wish to challenge a regularly listed course should consult with the appropriate department chair. If arrangements can be made with the chair, a fee of $50 is charged for each examination and a receipt from the Student Accounts Office must be shown to the chair with the Credit by Examination Form before final approval can be given.

If the examination is passed, credit without grade will be noted on the student’s transcript. The department chair will notify the Registrar’s Office, in writing, to enter the credit on the permanent record and notify the cashier, in writing, to reimburse the faculty member who administered the examination. If the examination is not passed, no notation is made on the transcript. In the case of freshmen who take placement examinations during the freshman orientation period, the fee is waived.

Anyone seeking credit by examination must be either degree seeking or taking courses for teacher licensure. Credit by examination cannot be used to repeat a course, nor can it be used to meet the university’s residency requirements for graduation.

In exceptional cases, credit can be awarded for prior non-college-based learning if the credit sought is related to the student's degree program (i.e. general education, major or licensure requirements). Assessment of prior learning can commence only after a student has been admitted to the university and has declared a major.

The student will first meet with the designated academic advising representative who will assist in defining the areas or disciplines in which appropriate creditable learning may have occurred. Actual assessment is conducted by a faculty member in the appropriate academic area. A $100 fee for each area of assessment will be charged. Payment is made to the Student Accounts Office.

Note:  Anyone seeking credit for life experience must be either a candidate for an undergraduate degree at Appalachian or taking courses for teacher licensure. Credit for life experience cannot be used to repeat a course, nor can it be used to meet the university's residency requirements for graduation.

A full-time semester is defined as 12-18 hours, or 6-7 hours in a five-week summer term.  Anything above this is considered an overload.  

An undergraduate student may be granted approval from his/her Dean’s Office to take an overload if the following GPA requirements are met.

 UG Credit Overload
    (per semester)
Cumulative GPA
Fall/Spring         19 credits      2.5 cGPA
          20 credits      3.0 cGPA
Summer           8 credits      2.5 cGPA
            9 credits      3.0 cGPA

Note:  The associate dean must approve any exceptions.

Process to Request an Overload

Log in to your AppalNet account.
Click the Student Tab, Registration link and then Request Overload link.
Select the term which overload is needed, complete the form then press Submit.

In rare circumstances, a late or extra drop may be requested if documented extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control occurred after the official drop date and prevented the student from completing a course. Students may review the Request for an Exception to the Drop Policy form on the Registrar's Office website for more information.

Not Extenuating Circumstances

Failing the course
Course not needed for major
Changed major
Doesn't get along with the instructor
Working long hours at outside job

Extenuating Circumstances 
(Documentation must be provided)

Medical Issues - See Student Health Services
Accident impairing attendance
Death in the immediate family

Requests for exceptions to the drop policy must be submitted to the appropriate office with the required documentation.  Please review the form for instructions and required documentation.  Students should continue attending the class unless the exception has been approved and you no longer see the course(s) in your AppalNet.

Log into AppalNet using your Appalachian username and password and select the Self-Service tab.
Select the Faculty Services tab.
Select the "Grade Change Request" link.
Select the Term of the course from the drop-down menu.
Select the CRN / Course from the drop-down menu.
Select the student whose grade needs to be changed. If necessary, you may change the grade for more than one student on the roster. 
Select the new grade from the “New Grade” drop-down menu.
Select the reason from “Grade Change Reason” drop-down menu. Please note that a reason is required.
Under some circumstances, you will be prompted to enter an Extension Date.
Click “Submit” when you have made all of your changes.

**Any approval needed by the department or Dean's Office will be handled electronically.

A student may repeat up to four courses and have Grade Forgiveness applied. Grade Forgiveness removes the initial grade AND the earned hours from the calculation of the grade point average (GPA). All courses will appear on the transcript. Grade Forgiveness will be automatically applied for the first four courses the student repeats. 

If the student does not want a Grade Forgiveness applied to a repeated course, he / she must submit a Grade Forgiveness Exception Form to the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the Drop / Add period for the semester in which he / she is repeating the course.

Grade Forgiveness Exclusions

Grade forgiveness can be used only once per course.
Only courses taken at Appalachian are eligible for grade forgiveness.
Grade forgiveness may not be used on courses that have changed content or credit hours.

Incomplete grades are assigned only because of sickness or some other unavoidable cause, not because a student fails to complete assignments in the course. An “I” becomes an “F” or “U” if not removed within the time designated by the instructor, not to exceed one semester, except that all incompletes must be removed at the time of graduation. 

Students do not re-register for a class in which a grade of “I” was earned in order to complete the incomplete. If a student receives a grade of “I” in a class and then re-registers for the class (either with the same or a different professor), the grade of “I” in the first class will default to “F” or “U”.

Independent Study is a special course, not listed in the regular curriculum, in which the student designs a project and then pursues it under the guidance of a faculty member who serves as a consultant for the student during the course of the study. The faculty member who will direct the student’s work, the chairperson and the Dean’s Office must approve the Independent Study.  Anyone wishing to pursue an Independent Study must be a degree candidate at Appalachian or working toward teacher certification.


No more than six semester hours of Independent Study may be used in an undergraduate degree program and no more than three semester hours in a minor.
An undergraduate student may take no more than four semester hours of Independent Study in one term.
A faculty member should direct no more than two different Independent Studies in any one term.

Note:  These guidelines define policy in ordinary circumstances, although the department chairperson may make exceptions in cases of hardship or for some other extraordinary cause.

Approval Process

The student will meet with the faculty member who serves as the director of an Independent Study
If the faculty member agrees to supervise the Independent Study project, the Independent Study Form and Special Course Form must be completed. These forms will be presented to the department chairperson.
If the department chairperson approves, they will determine, in consultation with the faculty member, the number of semester hour credits for the project and sign the Special Course Form authorizing registration for the Independent Study.
This packet of information must then be sent to the Dean's Office for approval.
Once approved by the Dean's Office, the student will submit the Special Course Form to the Registrar's Office for registration.

Individual study is a special provision where a student makes a contractual agreement with an instructor to complete a course on a different time schedule or without attending class regularly.  Anyone wishing to pursue an individual study must be a candidate for a degree at Appalachian or working toward teacher certification.

Approval Process

The student will meet with the faculty member who serves as the director of an individual study.
If the faculty member agrees to supervise the individual study, the Special Course Form must be completed. 
Once complete, the form must be presented to the department chair for approval. This form must then be sent to the Dean's Office for approval.
Once approved, the Dean's Office will submit the Special Course Form to the Registrar's Office for registration

Courses numbered less than 1000 (excluding applied music courses, major-principal, MUS 0001 - 0025) are taken for “institutional credit” only. These courses DO NOT count for graduation, but are computed in the student’s GPA (the hours count toward full-time student eligibility, but do not count as hours earned for graduation). Institutional credit courses will not be used in determining eligibility for honors.

The instructional assistance program is designed for students interested in earning academic credit through supervised participation in the instructional process. Students with junior or senior standing are eligible to participate in this program.  An undergraduate student may include a maximum of 3 credit hours toward graduation requirements under the instructional assistance program.

Approval Process

The student will meet with the faculty member who serves as the director of an instructional assistantship.
If the faculty member agrees to supervise the assistantship, the Instructional Assistance Form and Special Course Form must be completed and presented to the department chair for approval.
If the chair approves, he or she will sign the forms authorizing registration for the assistantship.
The student will sumbit the form to the Dean’s Office for approval.
Once approved by the Dean's Office, the student will submit the form to the Registrar's Office for registration.

Students pursuing an official Appalachian State University program of study that leads to a degree, certificate or licensure are considered eligible to enroll for internship credit.

Internship courses are graded on a S / U basis. Students must contact the appropriate program, department, college advisor or designated representative for instructions on approval and registration procedures.

All students must take a Math Placement Test except for those who:

Earned a minimum of 520 on the SAT math test.
Earned a minimum of 22 on the ACT math test.
Have completed their math core requirements with transfer work.

All other students must pass part I of the Math Placement Test or complete MAT 0010 prior to taking any courses in math, computer science, statistics or any ND designator course.

If a student needs MAT 1110 or higher, he / she must take the Calculus Readiness Exam portion of the math placement test. 

The Pass / Fail option may only be taken by a full-time undergraduate student with sophomore standing or above who is in good academic standing. Students may elect to take one course per semester (up to 6 in their academic career) under the pass / fail grading system. 

The following rules apply to the Pass/Fail option:

A passing grade does not figure into the GPA, but a failing grade does.
Only "free electives" may be taken pass/fail.
No course in the major or minor, core curriculum or a foreign language requirement may be taken pass / fail.
A student who elects the pass / fail option may remove the pass / fail option during the first nine weeks of the term.
If a course taken under the A-F grading system is repeated, it must be repeated under the A-F system.

Physical Education Credit Limitation

Non-physical education majors are not allowed to count more than six semester hours of PE activity courses towards their required number of hours for graduation. 

PE Wellness Literacy Modules

As part of the General Education Wellness Literacy requirements, students must complete a series of wellness modules to earn credit for their wellness courses.  Transfer students who take PE activity courses at other institutions did not complete this wellness component, so their transfer PE courses are granted credit but NOT given equivalent credit for Wellness Literacy until these modules have been completed.  These courses transfer in as “PE ACTV” courses and will be used in fallthrough or free electives but not in the Wellness General Education area.  Students who have these courses on their transcripts will have a message next to their Wellness Literacy requirement in DegreeWorks explaining that they must complete the wellness modules to move their PE ACTV into General Education.

Effective Summer 2017, new transfer students who take PE activity courses at other institutions and received credit are given equivalent credit for the Wellness Literacy modules. 

For each PE course a student takes, they must complete three Wellness Literacy modules in order to receive credit for the course.  If the student completes the course and does not complete the modules, they will fail the course. The first PE course are modules 1-3 and the second PE course are modules 4-6.  If all 6 modules have been successfully completed and the student enrolls in a third PE course, they will not have to complete additional modules.  The student will receive information on how to purchase the modules in the course syllabus.  Click PE Activity Course Wellness Literacy Module for more information.

A previously enrolled Appalachian student who plans to re-enroll and has not attended the university during a fall or spring semester due to withdrawal or suspension must be readmitted.

The readmission process is completed online and has a non-refundable $65 fee. The readmission application can be found on the Office of Registrar's website. In addition to the application, students must complete all items on the readmission portal by the application deadline.

Priority Application
    Final Application
Submission Deadline
    Final Application
Completion Deadline
Fall 2019   August 1, 2019      August 8, 2019    August 15, 2019
Spring 2020 December 2, 2019     January 3, 2020   January 10, 2020
Summer I 2020     May 1, 2020       May 15, 2020      May 22, 2020
Summer II 2020     May 1, 2020       June 22, 2020      June 29, 2020
Fall 2020   August 3, 2020      August 7, 2020    August 14, 2020

The definition of a completed application is one where all checklist items have been received. Students are encouraged to apply by the Priority Application Deadline (but no later than the Final Application Submission Deadline) to allow adequate time for a decision to be  processed and course registration to be available. If the application deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be the next business day.

Advising occurs 
by the faculty advisor in the major department. The faculty advisor who completes the advising should email the Record Specialists in the Dean's Office according to the alphabetical cohort (first letter of last name) with verification of advising so the student can be approved for readmission.

    NameCohort               Email

Students must meet all residency requirements to earn a degree from Appalachian State University

At least 25% of all degree requirements must be from Appalachian State University
At least 50 semester hours of credit must be from a senior (4-year) institution
At least 18 semester hours of credit in the major must be from Appalachian State University
At least 9 hours of credit in the minor must be from Appalachian State University

When first degree is from Appalachian State University

Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from Appalachian may return for a second degree or major.  These students must complete all catalog requirements stipulated for the second degree.  General Education is considered met, and a minor is not required as a part of the requirements when pursuing a second degree in a different discipline from the first degree.  There is no minimum number of hours required.  Students will need to apply for graduation when all requirements will be met, and a second diploma will be awarded.

When first degree is from an institution other than Appalachian State University

Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from another institution may attend Appalachian for a second degree. These students will have a 92-hour block of credit hours transferred in as DEG CORE, and General Education is considered complete.  Students must complete all catalog requirements stipulated for the second degree and a minimum of 122 (up to 128 for some majors) is required to graduate.  If a minor is required as a part of the degree, students must earn a minor at Appalachian.  Students will need to apply for graduation when all requirements will be met, and a diploma will be awarded.

All baccalaureate degrees granted by Appalachian require the completion of a minimum of 50 semester hours at a senior (four-year) college or university.

Note: credit awarded for military service or Prior Life Experience does not count as part of the required 50 hours.

Students who wish to take courses at another collegiate institution must seek approval from Appalachian State University PRIOR to enrollment at the other institutions. Failure to secure prior approval may result in the course(s) not being accepted by Appalachian.

You must be in good academic standing and cannot be on academic probation.
Coursework at the lower division level (1000/2000) is evaluated by the Office of Transfer Articulation
Coursework at the upper division level (3000/4000) is evaluated by the appropriate academic department
If you have taken a course at Appalachian and earned a D- or better, permission may not be granted to take the course at another institution. 
Grades earned at another collegiate institution will not be included in or allowed to affect your grade point average at Appalachian 
A grade of "C" or better is required for a course to transfer to Appalachian 
To graduate from Appalachian, you must complete the following in residence:
  • As a minimum, the final 30 hours (students who study abroad on an Appalachian-approved exchange are excluded from this provision)
  • A minimum of 18 semester hours in the major and (if applicable) nine semester hours in the minor
  • At least 25% of the credit hours required for the degree

Visiting Coursework Request Instructions

Log into AppalNet, click Student tab and select Visiting Coursework.
Review Student Responsibilities and agree to the terms and conditions. 
Select the appropriate term, state and school.
Use the search tool on the Transfer Course List to determine how the course(s) you plan to take will transfer back to Appalachian. To determine if courses are applicable to General Education requirements, hover over the ASU TITLE, a window will appear indicating if the course applies to General Education.
If the course is not found on the Transfer Course List, email the course description to the Office of Transfer Services at OTS will review the course information and reply indicating if/how the course will transfer to Appalachian, 
Review the schedule of classes and verify the course is offered at the institution. 
When you are ready to select the course(s) you plan to take, click ADD. A window will appear allowing you to select the reason(s) for taking the course. The course(s) will appear at the bottom of the screen. If you have credit for a course, the system will not allow you to add it. Contact the Office of Transfer Services (828-262-7877 or with further questions 
Review the list of courses you have chosen. If there are courses you do not wish to submit, click REMOVE to delete the course. A window will appear to verify the deletion 
The request will be forwarded to the appropriate dean's office for review 
You will be notified via your Appalachian email account after a decision is made. If approved, a letter will be attached to the email the student provides to the visiting institution (Transient Approval Form)
You should submit a final transcript upon completion of the coursework to the Office of Transfer Services 

Effective July 1, 2019, the tuition surcharge legislation has been repealed beginning with the 2019-2020 academic year and will no longer be charged according to the NC General Assembly passing Senate Bill 225 (Repeal Tuition Surcharge).

NC Governor Roy Cooper signed Senate Bill 225 into law which repeals the 50% tuition surcharge imposed on students who take more than 140 credit hours to complete a 4-year program or more than 110% of the hours necessary  to complete a 5-year program.  

Prior to the Repeal of the Tuition Surcharge

Undergraduate students who initially enrolled at Appalachian in the fall of 1994 and after must comply with North Carolina Session Law 321-89 (Senate Bill 27) and 769-17.10 (Senate Bill 1505). In 2009, the General Assembly (Senate Bill 202 - Section 9.10b) increased the surcharge rate from 25% to 50% beginning in fall 2010. 


This legislation requires a tuition surcharge on

All credit hours in excess of 140 when taken as part of student's first baccalaureate degree
All credit hours in excess of 110% of the number required for a second or subsequent baccalaureate degree

Included in the calculation of credit hours

Courses taken at Appalachian State University either with a passing or failing grade
Courses withdrawn after the Drop/Add period either by dropping the course or withdrawing from the university
Courses repeated even if additional credit will not be earned for the course
All courework transferred in from any UNC system school, NC community ncollege or any private or out-of-state institution

Attempted hours DO NOT include

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) credit
Dual-enrollment college credit taken during high school (including early and middle college credit)
Summer school courses taken at any NC institution
Military credit
Credit by exam

Students pursuing a second degree or major may contact the Dean's Office once they receive a bill for tuition surcharge to ask that their surcharge threshold be adjusted to allow for the second degree/major.  The new threshold will be the total number of unique hours required for the double degree/major multiplied by 110%.

Students who drop out and then return to the university will have their credit reviewed for applicability. Any credit earned more than 10 years prior to the date of re-entry is considered to be expired and may not be used for meeting degree requirements unless it has been approved. 

The old credit must be reviewed for approval by the Office of General Education, the major department and the minor department (if applicable). Any course not approved for use towards a degree must be taken again for credit.

Students inquiring about VA benefits and / or credit for military service should be referred to the School Certifying Official in the Student Financial Aid Office.

Students inquiring about veteran programs and policies as well as activities that facilitate the transition from military to the campus and Boone community should be referred to the Coordinator of Student Veteran Services.

      Name              Email      Phone                             Title
Stephanie Jonesjonessa5@appstate.edu828.262.6219Assistant Director / School Certifying Official
tbd  Coordinator of Student Veteran Services

Students should consult with the Registrar’s Office for more information on officially withdrawing from the university if you decide not to return to Appalachian State University.

Topics to Discuss

Financial Aid

A student seeking to withdraw should be directed to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and view Appalachian’s Withdrawal Policy to determine how current and future financial aid may be impacted.

Dropping to Zero Hours

If a student intends to stop taking courses and drop all enrolled courses to withdraw from the university, he /she must contact the Registrar's Office to begin the official withdrawal process and establish a withdrawal date.  If the student stops attending all classes but fails to complete the official withdrawal process, he / she will be considered an unofficial withdrawal. The Financial Aid Office will be notified when students drop courses and are no longer enrolled in any other courses. Based on the Return of Title IV funds calculation, students may be required to repay all or a portion of the financial aid received.

Unofficial Withdrawal

An unofficial withdrawal is a student who does not successfully complete any of his / her courses (receives all F grades or U grades), stops attending classes and does not complete any coursework as of the 60% point of the semester or summer term without officially withdrawing from the university, as required.  An unofficial withdrawal may be required to repay up to 50% of the financial aid received for the term.

Students who never attended any of their classes and did not complete any coursework are required to repay 100% of the financial aid received for the semester or summer term. Students who stop attending all classes are required to officially withdraw from the University.

On-Campus Housing

A student residing in on-campus housing should be directed to contact University Housing to determine the cancellation policy.


The term refund means either: 1) Repayment of money received by the university for tuition and fees, or 2) Reduction of charges if tuition and fees have not yet been paid

Reduction of Class Schedule

If students reduce their class schedules (drop some but not all courses) during the first five days of classes (Drop/Add period), 100% of the difference in tuition and fees between the original and revised schedules will be credited to their accounts.

Students who reduce their schedules (drop some but not all courses) after the first five days of classes (after Drop/Add period) will not be eligible for a refund.

Withdrawal Checklist

Students seeking to withdraw should review the Withdrawal Checklist. This provides detailed information about necessary steps for the withdrawal process.