The Smith Gallery will host the Art and Design Expo 2019, co-sponsored by the Departments of Art and Applied Design, Jan.29–Feb. 21. The expo is an annual juried art exhibition that features outstanding student art across the creative spectrum. Students are encouraged to submit up to six works for consideration between Nov. 27–Dec. 15.
Students may submit work in any media that pertains to the production of art and design. The exhibition committee encourages submissions related to prototypes, plans, digital renderings and examples of fashion, product, furniture, interior and graphic design, printmaking, painting, performance art, installation, video, photography, sculpture, interactive, ceramics, metalwork and fibers.
A juror will review all of the submitted works and select the pieces to go on display at the Smith Gallery in the Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts, as well as cash prizes. To submit work, visit appstate.slideroom.com.
Prizes will be awarded for Best in Show ($300), 1st prize ($200), 2nd prize ($150) and 3rd prize ($100). Purchase Awards will be given by the Appalachian Permanent Collection at Plemmons Student Union. A People’s Choice Award ($150) will be selected through votes collected during the exhibition. Students who submit work to the exhibition will also be automatically eligible to enter a lottery for a studio visit with a juror.
Eligibility and More
- To submit works for consideration, students must be enrolled in credit-seeking courses at Appalachian during spring 2019.
- All media are eligible. Each student may submit up to six works of original art or design.
- All works entered must have been created within the past three years and not previously shown in the Smith Gallery. All works must be properly registered, labeled, displayed and picked up according to the rules and dates listed in this prospectus.
- All works selected for the Art + Design Expo 2019 must be properly labeled and ready to hang or display. All works must be dropped off and picked up on the correct days.
- The Smith Gallery attempts to accommodate and support all exhibiting artists by providing installation assistance, advice and support materials (such as pedestals and vitrines) for objects on display.
- Students must attach a label in the lower right corner of all submitted works with their name, title of piece, medium, date, price and size (HxWxD). All information on the labels must correspond to the information submitted through Slideroom.
- A Loan Agreement must be filled out and signed at the time of delivery.
- All exhibiting artists must abide by the deadlines listed in Key Dates, below.
- Nov. 27–Dec. 15: Open submissions through Slideroom.
- Jan. 9: Announcement of selections for exhibition by email.
- Work Drop-off: Jan. 24, 9–5 p.m.
- Exhibition: Jan. 29–Feb. 21
- Work pick-up: Feb. 22, 10–1 p.m.
About the Smith Gallery
The Department of Art’s Smith Gallery is a vibrant contemporary art space, housed in Appalachian State University’s Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts. It presents original and travelling exhibitions, features work by faculty and students at the university, and commissions daring new art in all of its forms. The gallery is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Admission is free.
About Appalachian State University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 19,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.