DegreeWorks FAQ for Faculty Advisors


Q. How do I access DW?
A. You can log into DW through AppalNet using any browser. Your username and password are required. If you are unable to log in, please email The DW staff in the Registrar's Office can assist with login issues.
Note, all faculty who have been approved for advisor security within our student information system will have access to DegreeWorks.


Q. How do I find students in DW?
A. On the main screen, you can enter in a student's Banner ID -- OR -- you can press the Find button (upper left corner of the screen), which will bring up the Find Students panel. While there are many options on this panel, we recommend either:

  • type in the student's name and press Search; OR
  • select the appropriate major (degree or certificate) from the All Major Codes pick-list (upper middle of the panel) and press search.

Once you have searched, a list of the students found will show at the bottom of the panel. Click OK to preload them into the audit screen's Name pick-list.

Q. What if a student is not in DegreeWorks?
A. Only students who entered ASU in Fall 2009 or later and are enrolled as a degree-seeking student are in DW. The FAA Dean's Office will continue to provide manual senior checks for these students when they reach a minimum of 80-85 earned hours.

Q. What should I see when I look at a student's worksheet?
A. DW displays a student's program of study audit worksheet based on the program and course information in Banner and on the curriculum scribed in DW.

For degree-seeking students, you should see a degree block and a major block -- and a concentration block if your major requires a concentration. You should also see a General Education block, unless the student has met those requirements in some way (CCC CORE, GEP MET, etc.)

Green checks indicate complete requirements; blue tildes indicate in-progress requirements; empty red boxes indicate unmet requirements.

Q. The student is in multiple programs (concentrations, majors, certificates), but I only see one listed.
A. Each program is listed on a separate audit screen. To change screens use the Degree picklist near the top of the screen as illustrated below. If the second program is not there, the second program may not have been approved yet. Contact The College of Fine and Applied Arts Dean's Office if you believe there is an error.
DW Image

Q. I see several special categories of courses at the bottom of the worksheet. What are those?
A. Any or all of the following may appear at the bottom of the worksheet.

  • Fallthrough: Courses that are counting as additional electives over the minimum required for the program.
  • Attempted: Courses that do not have passing grades (U, F, SP, UP, IP, I).
  • In-progress: Any course currently being taken or preregistered for.
  • Not Counted: Courses that exceed or do not meet a program of study requirement, such as limits on dual-listed courses, independent studies, selected topics courses, C-level grades.
  • Exceptions: Customizations applied to the student's program based on submitted program of study information.
  • Notes: Any pertinent comments made by the advisor, program director, or Student Services Center in the Dean's Office. NOTES ARE VIEWABLE BY STUDENTS AND REMAIN PART OF THE PERMANENT AUDIT.

Q. Can you explain more about the Fallthrough section?
A. Courses can occupy this section for a number of reasons. If a student has changed majors, courses that once counted may no longer be required by the new major. Students may have taken more elective courses than required by the major. Students may be pursuing a minor they need to officially declare. Additionally, transfer students and students who have fulfilled General Education in some way will typically have courses in this section, as they may apply directly to specific degree requirements.

Q. As an advisor, I can ignore courses in the Fallthrough section, right?
A. Wrong. It is important to review courses in this section as well for potential substiutions and to ensure the audit is functioning properly. If you find a course in the Fallthrough section that satisfies a major requirement, contact the FAA Dean's Office.

Q. I want to make a note in DW. Can I do that?
A. Click on the Notes tab and you will see a side bar that includes Add Note. There is a picklist of predefined notes, but those are mainly for undergraduate advisors, so you can just enter freeform text. Be sure to save the note. NOTES ARE VIEWABLE BY STUDENTS AND REMAIN PART OF THE PERMANENT AUDIT.

Q. Can I get a term-by-term listing of courses taken from DW?
A. Use the Class History link at the top of the audit.
Class History Image DW

Q. I am working with a student who just registered and we need to look now rather than waiting until tomorrow for the data to refresh in the overnight process. Is there a way to grab the new information from Banner?
A. Yes, there is, but PLEASE only do this when absolutely necessary. Requesting refreshed Banner data slows down registration and other Banner processes for everyone. The refresh button is at the top of the audit worksheet.

Q. The General Education Section looks really big and confusing. Can this be made more concise?
A. Yes. Once a student decides which themes he or she is pursuing, these can be selected in the AppalNet Self-Service window. This collapses the General Education block considerably. Students who need assistance with this may visit the the dean's office in  Edwin Duncan, room 220.


Interpretation and Requesting Changes

Q. What if the major, concentration or minor is listed incorrectly?
A. DW is a front end for information in Banner, so DW displays only what is recorded as the official program(s). The information is updated each night, and so changes made today will be available for view tomorrow.

To change majors, minors or catalog year students must submit the Change of Major/Minor/Catalog Year Form.

Q. How do I submit a substitution or waiver?
A. Our procedures have not changed. You should initiate the substitution with your chairperson. If the chairperson approves he/she should forward an email to the dean's office. The dean's office will post as appropriate in DegreeWorks.

Q. The Program requirements don't look quite right. What could be wrong?
A. Double check the student's catalog year in the summary section of the audit. Contact the dean's office if questions remain.

Q. Courses approved to meet a program requirement are "falling through" to the bottom of the worksheet. How do we fix that?
A. If you have approved course substitutions and the chairperson approves he/she must forward an email to the dean's office. The dean's office will post as appropriate in DegreeWorks.

Q. The student is taking transfer credit to satisfy some requirements. I don't see where transfer credit is displayed.
A. Transfer credit will be entered into Banner (and thus in DW) once an official transcript showing acceptable grades has been received by the Office of Transfer Services. Until then, any transfer planned will be referenced in a note at the bottom of the audit.

Q. Some students have declared minors but no courses are filled in the minor block. Why?
A. Some minors don't specify courses but state instead that courses will be chosen in conjunction with faculty members. In this case it's very important that a copy of the MINOR CONTRACT be submitted to the appropriate dean's office for the student's major. That office will enter all approved courses and make the audit look complete.

Q. Why are some areas of the concentration blank?
A. If portions of the major or concentration require discussion with an advisor, it is very important to submit approved coursework to the dean's office as soon as possible. Once received the dean's office will post as appropriate into DegreeWorks.

Q. What if I see an error in the worksheet?
A. Notify the the dean's office with specific information including the student's name, major, Banner ID, and where on the audit that the error was noticed.


 Q. Can I send students to the dean's office with questions?
A. Yes. Students may come by our office in Edwin Duncan, room 220.