Graduation is confirmed in May, August and December of each year. There are formal ceremonies in May and December. Students who complete their requirements in the summer are permitted to participate in the May ceremony prior to the summer term or they may wait to participate in the December ceremony.
Online Appliation Dates
See the Registrar's website.
Applying to Graduate
Students who have enough earned hours to be eligible to apply for graduation will receive an email at the beginning of the term alerting them that the application for graduation is open. Students are required to apply for graduation during the term immediately preceding the one in which they expect to complete all coursework and requirements for graduation (including internships, study abroad, etc.). Even if you do not plan to attend the Commencement ceremony, you must still apply to graduate. Please visit the Registrar's website for more important information.
- Minimum of 122 – 128 semester hours (see DegreeWorks for precise number)
- At least 25% of all degree requirements must be from Appalachian State University
- At least 50 semester hours of credit must be from a senior (4-year) institution.
- The last 30 semester hours of credit must be from Appalachian State University.
- At least 18 semester hours of credit in the major must be from Appalachian State University.
- At least 9 semester hours of credit in the minor must be from Appalachian State University.
- All major and minor specific requirements met
- All General Education curriculum requirements met
- All “I” (Incomplete) grades removed from transcript
- A cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 (2.7 for Education majors)
- A major GPA of at least 2.0 (2.7 for Education majors)
- A minor GPA of at least 2.0 (for some minors)
- All accounts must be cleared (library, housing, financial aid, etc.)
Graduation Ceremony Information
Please visit the Registrar's website for complete information.
Graduation with Honors
To be eligible for graduation with honors, an undergraduate student must complete, in residence at Appalachian, a minimum of 48 semester hours in residence. (Note: Credit for which a grade is not awarded will not be used in the determination of honors—e.g., APP, CLEP, credit by examination, credit for military service, credit for prior learning, etc.)
Magna cum laude
Summa cum laude
The GPA used to recognize candidates for Latin honors (during the ceremony) is the cumulative GPA earned through the immediately preceding (not the current) semester.