235 Beasley Media Complex
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, M.A., Ph.D.
- St. Lawrence University, B.A.
Professional Affiliations or Organizations:
- Co-Coordinator, AEJMC History Division, Joint Journalism & Communication History Conference.
- Chapter Adviser, Society of Professional Journalists.
- Member, American Society of Journalists & Authors.
- Member, American Journalism Historians Association.
- Member, American Society of News Editors.
- Contributing Editor, Journalism History
- "The Woman War Correspondent, the U.S. Military, and the Press: 1846-1947." Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books, forthcoming December, 2016. http://www.bit.ly/w-warco
- "Women's Magazine Coverage of Heart Disease Risk Factors: Good Housekeeping Magazine, 1997 to 2007." Women & Health 50, 2, 2010.
- "Juggernaut in Kid Gloves: Inez Callaway Robb, 1900-1979." American Journalism 27, 4, Fall 2010.
- "Getting the Story: A Study of the State of Literary Journalism in the American Academy," in Literary Journalism: The Newsletter of the International Association for Literary Journalism Studies 3, 4, Fall 2009.
- Review of Global Journalism Research: Theories, Methods, Future, M. Löffelholz and D. Weaver. (Blackwell Publishing, 2008.) In Global Media Journal 7, 13, Fall 2008.
- "Christiane Amanpour," "Wangari Maathai," "Helen Thomas," and "Katrina vanden Heuvel." In The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Women in Today's World. Ed. Mary Zeiss Stange, Carol K. Oyster, & Geoffrey J. Golson. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, 2011.
- "Juggernaut in Kid Gloves: Inez Callaway Robb, 1900-1979." Presented as Top Student Paper in the History Division at the Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication Convention in Boston, August 2009.
- "Women's Magazine Coverage of Heart Disease Risk Factors." Presented to the Science and Communication Interest Group at the AEJMC Convention in Boston, August 2009.
- "Getting the Story: An Exploration of Literary Journalism at ACEJMC-Accredited Schools." Presented at the International Association for Literary Journalism Studies conference in Evanston, Ill., May 2009.
- "Shades of Truth, Harm and Malice: Emergence of the Subsidiary Meaning Doctrine." Presented to the Law & Policy Division, AEJMC Convention in Chicago, August 2008.
- Faculty Staff Appreciation Award 2015-2016, Outstanding Professor, College of Fine & Applied Arts, Appalachian State University.
- Margaret A. Blanchard Doctoral Dissertation Prize, Honorable Mention, AJHA.
- Mary Gardner Award for Graduate Student Research, AEJMC.
- Schlesinger Library Dissertation Grant, Harvard University.
- Joseph L. Morrison Award for Excellence in Journalism History, UNC–Chapel Hill.
- Minnie S. and Eli A. Rubinstein Research Award, UNC–Chapel Hill.
- Top Student Paper, History Division, AEJMC Annual Convention.
- Roy H. Park Doctoral Fellowship, UNC–Chapel Hill.
- COM 2600 Introduction to Journalism
- COM 2610 News Reporting & Writing
- COM 3124 Intercultural Communication
- COM 3130 Minorities in Media
- COM 3210 Copy Editing
- COM 3549 In-Depth Reporting in France
- COM 3600 Feature Writing
- COM 3680 Literary Journalism